The idea of digitally connecting consumers of your paper-based content to the internet is a powerful concept. QR technology provides cell phone users the ability to scan paper-based content using the cell phone’s camera to decode information on a menu, a magazine, a business card, a gift card, a coupon or a website. Once the QR code has been scanned and decoded, the user has access via their cell phone to the information or destinations that can be any or all of the following customer engagement opportunities and call to action: product page, landing page, capture form, voting & polls, video, podcasts, music, social networks, coupons, promotions, playlists, photo gallery, sweepstakes, phone number, SMS/MMS etc.
QR codes represent data in 2D – that is information is encoded both vertically and horizontally in the code. The API allows the user to generate three different footprints – small, medium and large. QR codes have the ability to encode up to: Alphanumeric – 4,296 characters, Numeric – 7,089 characters or 8 bit Binary – 2, 953 bytes.
What are the possibilities? Well, let’s take a look at where consumers are finding QR codes. They show up in magazine ads, maps, food packaging, posters, leaflets, business cards, emails, websites, clothing, and on the sides of buses, buildings etc. With these vehicles in mind, the current technology could be used in the following manner:
- Transform the printed page into a high impact mobile experience that is dynamic and immediately accessible
- Integrate every portion of a campaign by leveraging 2D barcodes with rich media mobile solutions to generate interaction and engagement with your target audience
- Reach more of your target audience in a personal, one-on-one fashion en masse
- Entice your target audience to take action with sweepstakes or other promotions
- Ignite an engaging, mobile conversation with your audience and subscribers
- Increase affinity and loyalty for your brand, product or service